Thursday, January 5, 2012

Interview with the Duke of Zhou

Me- Hello, great Duke of Zhou. I appreciate your time. Lets get started I woulden't like any of your time to go to waste.

Me- 1st off, I know you strongly expanded around the plain of the Yellow River. Can you explain the benefits of expanding around the Yellow River and how it helped your people?
Duke-Well, expanding our dynasty was my 1st goal when I became ruler. I wanted to claim the plain of the Yellow River for many reasons, 1st of all it gave my people a strong resource to rely on water, food, transportation. Also the land was very rich, which helped our farming succeed strongly. Expanding helped because I was able to give land to trusted alleys but in order to rule that piece of land they had certain duties from me that they had to follow.
Me-Why was the Zhou dynasty divided into two time periods periods, can you explain how that worked?
Duke-Well, the two time periods were split up, the Western and the Eastern. The western time period came 1st then after the Eastern. The time periods changed because of the changes of the Zhou capital, the capital was 1st in Hao then got moved to Luanyang which then changed the Western Zhou to the Eastern Zhou. This movement of Capitals was because our leader at the time was a very weak ruler, so the Zhou's stronger enemies found a chance to overthrow him and they did, which pushed them back and caused us to change capitals. That's when the move from Hao to Luanyang happened around 771 B.C.
Me- How did the feudal system work? Why did you create it?
Duke- The Feudal System worked very well and kept order throughout our Dynasty, it basically kept everyone in their place and kept everything organized. The system was based upon the concept that all the land belonged to me and everyone was under my control. The reason I made this system was that it prevented the people I gave land to (lords) from revolting, claiming land for their own, and disobeying me. This also worked in another way, I created an intricate system of mutual obligation between me, and my noblemen. This system started from me down, then went the lords, knights (government officials) who were controlled by the Lords, foot soldiers, farmers, and peasants. This system kept order throughout most of the Zhou Dynasty.
Me-I know your Dynasty invented the crossbow, what were the benefits of this mechanism? 
Duke- The crossbow was the one of the strongest weapon used by my soldiers and helped our people hunt animals and made the animal easier to kill. This mechanism was much stronger than the the normal bow and arrow and delivered much more accurate kills and was able to fire much more farther distances.
Me- Okay, last but not least, how did your dynasty lose power? Who's fault was it?
Duke-I wouldn't  blame anyone in particular to tell you the truth. It 1st started in 256 B.C when the Zhou dynasty 1st lost power and the Zhou king was killed and then was ruled by 7 states for about 35 years. When the king was killed that's when the dynasty lost power because the Dynasty lost order. After china had seven states for 35 years the Qin Dynasty finally took over officially ending the reign of the Zhou Dynasty.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment